Wednesday 30 November 2011

Strange obsession I didn't realise I had...



I received some Hinterland figures in the post yesterday, and found myself admiring the Medics pack.
It contains a rather nice dog, which I found myself admiring, and comparing to the other dog models I have.

It was then it dawned on me what a lot of dog miniatures I have.

My Inquisition agent for Dark Heresy has a dog, my officer from my old 40K Imperial Guard army has a pack of dogs (rather nice huskies from Copplestone). Canine companions seem to have featured in most of my old role-playing parties (we used miniatures for combat to save arguments over movement etc.). I have over 30 dog miniatures from various manufacturers. Big dogs, small dogs, even chaos hounds (and lets not even start on the number of wolves I have)

My VSF Queens Electrical Rifles have a regimental mascot that's a goat, but that's a different story..

Now that I think about it, I seem to collect more livestock generally than is absolutely necessary (donkeys, mules, cattle etc), as most of my forces have some kind of baggage element, although none of the rulesets I use require them.

So, I now realise I seem to have a bit of a miniature animal obsession, with the emphasis on dogs, :?

I'm not particularly a dog lover. I don't have one, and haven't had one since I was a kid.
So why my miniature dog obsession?

2 comments:

  1. I have quite a few animals of all sorts in my collection. I think they're a nice change from painting masses of troops, they can add character and interest to a stand or a unit or a game, even if they have little or no function in the game itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on the character, and "humanising" that baggage elements can bring to a force. Also, its fun to include little vignettes and colourful character figures with support units, and it keeps your interest up..
    Didn't realise that dogs featured quite so heavily for me though, :-).

    ReplyDelete